In collaboration with iTeachU, SCA is very excited to present our hybrid course - part online learning and part hands-on participation.
We conducted an extensive needs based assessment for the use of clinical ultrasound by anesthesiologists in the practice of perioperative medicine. The Perioperative Ultrasound Course (PoCUS) is a collaboration between SCA and iTeachU that provides education to help address the professional practice gaps found in the assessment.
PoCUS offers training in utilizing basic clinical ultrasound to assist in clinical assessment, decision-making and using ultrasound to guide percutaneous procedures. This is a three-part course that requires learners to complete an online portion, a hands-on workshop and a number of supervised studies which are tracked in an online log book.
Participants who compete the online program, live hands-on workshop, and the log book (75 studies), will receive a program completion certificate.
The knowledge-based online learning component focuses on gaining ultrasound knowledge and ultrasound guided procedures techniques. The modules, tutorial, and case studies will cover the following topics:
- Basic Transthoracic Echocardiography (TTE)
- Abdomen and Peri-arrest
- Basic Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE)
Students have the flexibility to study on their own schedule. Program materials can be accessed through the iTeachU app on smartphones and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once the program materials have been downloaded, all interactive media content can be viewed even when offline (periodic internet access is required to login or verify login credentials). The course can also be accessed online using a web browser.
To complete the online portion of the course, the participant must read the subject tutorials, submit the related tutorial assessments and get a pass mark of 70%. Upon payment, the student will receive a “Getting Started” email with instructions on how to access the program materials.
Academic and private practice anesthesiologists, residents, and fellows providing patient care in a teaching or community-based health care settings.
Statement of Need
- The use of clinical ultrasound to assist in clinical decision making in perioperative medicine, such as basic transthoracic echocardiography, lung ultrasound, basic abdominal ultrasound, and basic transesophageal echocardiography is a major advancement in perioperative health care and anesthesiology practice, but is currently not widely used or adopted in health care settings.
- The use of clinical ultrasound to help guide percutaneous procedures in perioperative practice, such as nerve blocks, vascular access, and pleural drain insertion is an established practice in anesthesiology, but not yet widely adopted.
- Acquiring knowledge is difficult to achieve while caring for patients in a busy practice setting.
- Knowledge is an essential component to increasing competency in clinical ultrasound.
- A structured learning program of theory, supplemented by extensive case review is needed to improve patient care.
This activity was designed to change learners' knowledge by providing them the strategies to adopt clinical ultrasound in their clinical practice and care of patients in anesthesiology and critical care medicine.
Learn the cognitive skills needed to apply the knowledge gained through learning sono-anatomy, the uses of clinical ultrasound, and learn patterns of pathology that integrate the ultrasound diagnosis into clinical decision making. This includes case study review through the uses of case-based examples.
The Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists designates this enduring material for a maximum of 85 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME credit may ONLY be claimed for the successful completion of the following tutorials:
- Basic Transthoracic Echocardiography (50 hours)
- Lungs (10 hours)
- Vessels (5 hours)
- Abdomen and Peri-Arrest (20 hours)
Purchase Online Course
Hands-On Workshop - Sold Out!
This 1 day workshop offers in-depth and focused learning in an intimate environment with a faculty-participant ratio of 1:4. You will gain practical knowledge on how to perform safe ultrasound guided procedures.
The 2018 hands-on workshop will be held February 25, in conjunction with SCA's Echo Week in Atlanta, GA. You must purchase the online course prior to registering for the hands-on workshop. This course is currently sold-out. If you would like to be added to the wait list, please contact SCA Member Services at 855.658.2828 or 847.375.6313 or via email to email@example.com.
Click here for more information about the meeting.