In 2009, the International Anesthesia Research Society (IARS) pledged $1,000,000 to the SCA Foundation to support cardiothoracic and vascular anesthesia research projects, and renewed that commitment in 2014 with additional funds. As a result, the SCA/IARS Starter Grants and SCA/IARS Mid-Career Grants were created.
In addition, supplemental funding provided to the SCA Foundation by SCA Past President Michael Roizen, MD, supports the Roizen Anesthesia Research Foundation New Investigator Grant every other year. This award parallels basic aspects of the Starter Grant but provides a greater level of salary support for the recipient.
2018 Grant Opportunities
- Two types of grants will be awarded in 2018:
- SCA/IARS Starter Grant - up to $25,000 per year for two years.
- SCA/IARS Mid-Career Grant - up to $50,000 per year for two years.
- Applications will close on February 1, 2018.
- The awards will be announced at the 2018 SCA Annual Meeting & Workshops. The grant period of 24 months can begin any time from July 1 to December 31 of the year granted. Grant recipients are required to present their work at a subsequent SCA Annual Meeting.
- Member, Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists at the time of application.
- MD or PhD or equivalent degree.
- Primary Investigators (PI) on active NIH grants or other (inter)national peer-reviewed grants with > $50,000 per year are not eligible.
- Previous Starter or Roizen Grant recipients are only eligible for Mid-Career Grants.
- Grants will be judged relative to peers in the grant category submitted.
- Eligible research projects should be completed within three years after the award of the grant.
- Starter Grants: PI must be within five years of finishing training and have an academic appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor or less.
- Mid-Career Grants: PI must be at the level of Associate Professor or less; previous Mid-Career Grant recipients are not eligible for additional awards.
Research Grant Submission Instructions
Title Page Template
The application must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm (Central) on February 1, 2018.
The awards will be announced at the 2018 SCA Annual Meeting & Workshops. We encourage all applicants to plan to attend the meeting for the award ceremony. The grant period of 12 to 24 months can begin any time from July 1 to December 31 of the year granted. At twelve and twenty-four months from the grant inception date a report on the status of the research project will be due to the Research Committee.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.