Taking Our Society to the Next Level
As has become customary for SCA presidents, I will continue the process of utilizing the President’s Message to update you, the membership, on important SCA initiatives. Over the past several years, the SCA Board of Directors has struggled with the rapid growth and maturing of our specialty. As a society, the SCA has embarked on many critical initiatives including the formation of the SCA Foundation, establishing a cardiovascular operating room safety research domain and adding anesthesia modules to the STS database, to name only a few. What was lacking was an overarching vision on where the SCA should be going. Hence, the SCA board retained the help of a consultant, Leigh Wintz, of Tecker International, to assist the board in the development of a five-year strategic plan. After two strategic retreats, the attached strategic plan was approved. Please take a few moments to review it.
SOCIETY OF CARDIOVASCULAR ANESTHESIOLOGISTS:
Strategic Plan 2013-2018
Enhance outcomes for patients with cardiovascular and thoracic disease.
Core Organizational Values:
- Innovation: Demonstrated by continuing commitment to education and research to generate and disseminate knowledge that improves patient outcomes.
- Integrity: Demonstrated by uncompromised dedication to being a trusted, unbiased and credible source of information and expertise.
- Leadership: Demonstrated by professional and personal pride in shaping the future of an inclusive community of excellence with a common passion for mutual respect, shared experience and mentoring.
- Teamwork: Demonstrated by active participation and ongoing commitment to the multi-disciplinary care of cardiovascular and thoracic patients.
To be the globally recognized leader for cardiovascular and thoracic anesthesiology and perioperative care.
Vivid Description of a Desired Future:
The outcome of patients with cardiovascular disease will be measurably improved due to the care of physicians who have been inspired and supported by the programs and initiatives of the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists (SCA). SCA is renowned worldwide for its education in cardiovascular and thoracic (CVT) anesthesiology and perioperative care. Its members are called upon for leadership training, and mentorship. Recognized as a subspecialty by the ABMS, SCA physicians are the experts to whom healthcare professionals and hospital administrators turn for advice and consultation about managing systems of care for patients with cardiovascular and thoracic disease. SCA initiates, collaborates and secures funding for cutting edge multi-disciplinary research initiatives for perioperative patients with cardiovascular and thoracic disease. The SCA works with the public and other medical specialties to promote clinical practice and safety standards. All physicians caring for patients undergoing cardiovascular and thoracic procedures seek membership, education, and practice guidance through the SCA. SCA partners with other medical and surgical specialties as perioperative medicine experts.
SCA will be the leader in comprehensive professional development that promotes the provision of safe, high quality, cost-effective medical care for cardiovascular and thoracic procedures.
- Increase opportunities for e-learning.
- Expand educational offerings to include peri-procedural and critical care medicine.
- Improve national CME offerings that meet the needs of the membership and CVT anesthesiologists in general.
- Increase educational opportunities that meet the dynamic needs of residents and fellow training programs.
- Increase attendance and participation in CME events
- Establish educational offering for certification.
- Increase interdisciplinary learning opportunities.
SCA will be the recognized authority for the subspecialty within the medical and non-medical community with an emphasis on patients.
- Acquire certification for subspecialty from ABMS.
- Promote standards and guidelines within the subspecialty.
- Promote the value of SCA members as proficient providers and teachers of ultrasound and other advanced imaging technologies.
- Increase public awareness about the critical role of CT and ICU physicians
- Establish SCA as a source for information about perioperative care for use in contract and payer negotiations.
GOAL: Membership Engagement
SCA membership will be viewed as essential to all physicians practicing cardiovascular and thoracic anesthesiology and critical care medicine.
- Increase member satisfaction
- Increase membership.
- Increase diversity of membership (academic/private practice, national/international).
- Increase retention and engagement of trainees.
SCA will be regarded as a key supporter and promoter of research related to cardiovascular and thoracic disease.
- Increase recognition of subspecialty related research
- Optimize opportunities for investigator research.
- Implement and effectively utilize the STS/SCA Adult Cardiac Anesthesiology Database.
- Provide a forum for presenting research findings
I hope you are as excited as I am by the enhanced possibilities outlined in the strategic plan for the future of the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists. By utilizing our committees and the talented chairs and members that comprise those committees, specific strategies will be identified to achieve each objective and ultimately our goals. This will not occur overnight, but I am looking forward to starting the journey together and engaging the membership at large in achieving our goals to take our society “to the next level.” I welcome your thoughts and comments.