Participation Agreements being accepted
Collaboration Adds Anesthesia Module to STS National Database
The data collection form is also available on the STS website.
The Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists is pleased to announce a groundbreaking collaboration with The Society of Thoracic Surgeons, and invites you to join your colleagues in the collection of adult cardiac anesthesia clinical data that will be incorporated into the Adult Cardiac Surgery component of the STS National Database; these data will be submitted to the Database though a new, web-based anesthesia module. The SCA believes that physicians are in the best position to measure clinical performance accurately and objectively, and encourages your participation.
The STS Adult Cardiac Surgery Database is the largest cardiothoracic surgery outcomes and quality improvement registry in the world, containing more than 5.6 million cardiothoracic surgical procedure records from 1,068 participants (an individual surgeon or group of surgeons, the vast majority in conjunction with their respective hospitals).
Provided below is a link that opens a dummy report for the anesthesia data that a site can expect to receive quarterly after joining the database.
View Sample Report
Participation benefits include:
- A standardized format for data collection to assess the care of adult patients undergoing cardiothoracic operations;
- Quarterly performance outcomes reports in a risk-adjusted format which allows comparison of local outcomes to regional benchmarks and national standards;
- Report section dedicated to anesthesia;
- Analysis of major surgical outcomes and process-of-care measures that impact adult cardiac surgery patients;
- Composite quality measure scores for CABG and AVR and associated ratings;
- Risk profiles of patients in your practice benchmarked against national standards;
- Feedback reports to identify areas for quality improvement;
- Feedback reports to document outcomes for quality improvement initiatives;
- Assessment data on new technology and techniques;
- Documentation of the quality of care delivered by your practice for interested third-party entities; and
- Participation in a national quality improvement effort for adult cardiac surgery that has an impact at the local, regional, and national levels.
- Data Collection and Submission
Collect and submit data via the web-based collection portal. This robust tool will provide comprehensive data fields to capture patient risk factors, operative and anesthetic techniques, processes, and clinical outcomes.
- Annual Fee
The fee for SCA/STS Adult Cardiac Surgery Database participation is $2500 per anesthesiology group. (Note: this fee is in addition to the participation fee payable by or on behalf of your surgeon colleague participants; their participation is necessary.)
Because the module will be web-based, no special software is required.
For More Information
For more information, contact Susan Becker in the STS office.
STS National Database Manager
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
633 North Saint Clair Street, 23rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60611
STS Main Number: (312) 202-5800
Direct: (312) 202-5828
Fax: (312) 202-5867