Participation Agreements being accepted
STS and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists partnered in 2013 to implement an anesthesiology data module for the Adult Cardiac Surgery Database (ACSD) component of the STS National Database. This web-based anesthesiology module is used to collect and benchmark data for anesthesiology participants.
View Participating Centers
On July 1, 2017, the anesthesiology component of the ACSD will be transitioned from the module into vendor software packages currently used for surgical data entry. This transition will coincide with the new data version implementation. Also in the works for 2017 is an enhanced web-based reporting dashboard for surgery and anesthesiology outcomes.
The STS Adult Cardiac Surgery Database is the largest cardiothoracic surgery outcomes and quality improvement registry in the world, containing more than 5.6 million cardiothoracic surgical procedure records from 1,068 participants (an individual surgeon or group of surgeons, the vast majority in conjunction with their respective hospitals).
Provided below is a link that opens a dummy report for the anesthesia data that a site can expect to receive quarterly after joining the database.
View Sample Report
Participation benefits include:
- A standardized format for data collection to assess the care of adult patients undergoing cardiothoracic operations;
- Quarterly performance outcomes reports in a risk-adjusted format which allows comparison of local outcomes to regional benchmarks and national standards;
- Report section dedicated to anesthesia;
- Analysis of major surgical outcomes and process-of-care measures that impact adult cardiac surgery patients;
- Composite quality measure scores for CABG and AVR and associated ratings;
- Risk profiles of patients in your practice benchmarked against national standards;
- Feedback reports to identify areas for quality improvement;
- Feedback reports to document outcomes for quality improvement initiatives;
- Assessment data on new technology and techniques;
- Documentation of the quality of care delivered by your practice for interested third-party entities; and
- Participation in a national quality improvement effort for adult cardiac surgery that has an impact at the local, regional, and national levels.
- Data Collection and Submission
Collect and submit data via the web-based collection portal. This robust tool will provide comprehensive data fields to capture patient risk factors, operative and anesthetic techniques, processes, and clinical outcomes.
- Annual Fee
The fee for SCA/STS Adult Cardiac Surgery Database participation is $2,500 per anesthesiology group. (Note: this fee is in addition to the participation fee payable by or on behalf of your surgeon colleague participants; their participation is necessary.)
For More Information
For more information, contact Elizabeth Watkins at email@example.com or (312) 202-5858.