Welcome to the SCA 39th Annual Meeting & Workshops
Faculty Resource Page!
Congratulations on being selected to present at the SCA 39th Annual Meeting & Workshops in Orlando! Please use this page as a tool to plan your stay, prepare for your session(s), and learn more about the meeting. We will continue to update and maintain this resource page with details pertinent to our faculty, so check back often. We hope this information will help make your conference experience an enjoyable and successful one.
Thank you for your contribution to the meeting; your presentation will help make it an outstanding educational event. We look forward to seeing you in Orlando!
-The SCA 2017 Scientific Program Planning Committee
Everyone with a faculty role must complete the online registration form in order to attend the meeting and claim CME credits. The session information letter sent via email by SCA Staff indicates if the SCA is providing you complimentary registration for the main meeting, or if you are required to cover the cost of registration fees.
Registration: Our online registration site will open early January 2017. Please check back for more details!
Lodging and Travel Information
Lodging: SCA has secured a block of rooms at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort at a special discounted rate of $219/night for single/double rooms. Room reservations will be available at this discounted rate until March 20, 2017, or until the room block is filled, whichever occurs first. Once the room block is filled, or the deadline has passed, rates are subject to change.
Reserve your room for the meeting:
- Online at the SCA’s group reservation page on the Loews Royal Pacific website
- Call the Loews Royal Pacific reservation line at 866.360.7395
- If you choose to make your reservation over the phone, be sure to specify that you are attending the SCA 39th Annual Meeting.
Consider extending your stay and arrive in Orlando early to attend the Thoracic Anesthesia Symposium on April 21st!
Loews Royal Pacific Resort
6300 Hollywood Way
Orlando, FL 32819
**Please refer to the session confirmation letter you received via email to confirm if the SCA is providing you with a complimentary hotel room, or if you are responsible for covering your own hotel charges.
Travel: If the SCA has notified you that you will receive reimbursement for your travel expenses (air/train/bus), your travel arrangements must be booked at least 21 days in advance of your departure. If you cannot book 21 days in advance, please contact SCA staff for approval.
The nearest airport to the hotel is the Orlando International Airport (MCO). It is efficient and easy to use, offering several airlines (more than a million seats each month) and competitive fares.
Shuttle: A group discount for $2 off one-way/$5 off round-trip has been set up for SuperShuttle service to and from Orlando International Airport. Reservations must be made online through the link below in order to receive the discounted rate.
Discount Code: KAJUZ
Reservations: CLICK HERE
Wait time may be incurred at the airport prior to departure. Each vehicle may make additional hotel stops prior to your destination.
Taxi: Estimated $45 one-way
Parking: Make your visit to Orlando a road trip! Onsite parking is available at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort.
Please refer to the hotel website for more information on parking rates. SCA does not reimburse for parking.
Deadlines, Guidelines and Suggestions for Your Session
Speaker Information Center
Deadlines: The following items must be completed on the Speaker Information Center by the specified dates:
December 12, 2016
February 15, 2017
- Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
- Willingness to Participate form(s)
- Biography Information
- Syllabus Materials (for general session, PBLD, and workshop speakers)
Please contact SCA Staff at email@example.com if you are unable to complete these requirements by the deadline.
Speaker Requirements: All speakers are expected to contribute to the online syllabus that is available to all registered meeting attendees by uploading handouts, including presentation slides, to the Speaker Information Center. Submitting your material on time will help us:
- Create a more meaningful learning experience
- Assist attendees in comprehending all the available material at our education event
- Provide a great reference tool for attendees to utilize after the meeting
- Allow attendees to focus more on the content of the presentation and less on copying slides
Moderator Requirements: All moderators are responsible for the learning objectives of their session(s). We appreciate you submitting your learning objectives to us in Fall 2016.
Please note, your learning objectives were sent to the program chairs for any final edits that may have been necessary. You will be able to view your finalized learning objectives once SCA Staff has uploaded them to the Speaker Information Center.
- Business attire is appropriate for all educational sessions. Professional demeanor, in both speech and attire, is expected at all times during the conference.
- Speakers must use the SCA presentation template for their title slide and disclosure of relevant financial relationships.
- There will be one dedicated computer at the podium with PowerPoint and Keynote capability.
- Slides must be sized for widescreen presentation (16x9).
- All presentations must be of educational nature, and may not be used to promote products or services.
- Any additional handouts (i.e. case studies, journal articles, etc.) are the speaker's responsibility to print and distribute to attendees.
- All speakers must upload their presentations in the Speaker Ready Room one hour prior to their presentation.
- If there are any copyright concerns regarding content on specific slides of your presentation that may not be covered under the Fair Use Law, you may inform Learner's Digest of the slides that I would like deleted from the On Demand product. Should you decide to delete any slides, you must notify Pamela Burrage of the slides to be deleted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org within one week after my presentation.
- SCA may capture your presentation for inclusion in the meeting On Demand product. If you wish to exclude your presentation from being captured, you must notify the SCA Executive Office by email at email@example.com.
- Faculty are encouraged to review the handbook for their role(s) in preparation for their session(s).
- SCA Speaker Handbook
- SCA Moderator Handbook
- Limit the information on a single slide.
- Use a 24 point font as your minimum size - remember, those sitting in the back of the room should still be able to read your slide.
- Please keep in mind that the number of session attendees could range between 75 and 250 people.
- Be consistent in presenting information in an organized, logical manner.
- Do not use more than four colors in your presentation. Avoid red letters, which are difficult for some people to read. The best readability comes from high contrast of intensity rather than by clashes of color.
- Create slides to highlight your presentation, not to duplicate exactly what you will say.
- It is recommended that you include your contact information on the last slide of your presentation for attendees to contact you with follow-up questions.
- Make good use of color contrast.
- Rehearse your presentation. SCA’s Speaker Ready Room is available onsite for this purpose. Please check this site closer to the date of the meeting for the exact room assignment of the Speaker Ready Room.
- Any graphic included in the presentation (i.e. media and video) should be embedded in the presentation file to minimize the file size.
All general session rooms (excluding workshops and PBLDs) will be set with the following equipment:
- 1 LCD Projector
- 1 PC and 1 Mac
- 1 Screen
- 1 Podium Microphone
- 1 Lavalier Microphone
- 1 Audience Microphone
Please use your cursor on the screen to point out information to attendees; do NOT use a laser pointer as attendees in the room may not be able to see the screen.
Should your presentation require hardware other than what is noted above, please provide SCA Staff with a list of your specifications by February 15, 2016 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. SCA cannot guarantee special A/V requests, and will not accept any requests made during the conference.
Room sizes range from approximately 75-900 people each and assignments will be printed in the onsite Program-at-a-Glance that you will receive upon check-in at the registration desk.
Please check back for more details in March 2017.
All educational sessions will be held at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort.
You are invited to the Back to Our Future Gala Event on Sunday, April 23, 2017!
Join your SCA and SCA Foundation (SCAF) colleagues as we celebrate 9 years of partnership in raising funds for the mission of the Society. Hear from past research grantees and Kaplan Leadership Scholarship winners to understand just how critical your support has been in establishing their careers. As always, we invite fellowship programs to purchase a table and bring their fellows so they can see the SCA and SCAF mission in action. Seating is limited, so purchase early!
More information regarding individual ticket and full table pricing will be posted on the SCA website at a later date.
Upon Arriving in Orlando
Check-In at Registration:
- All speakers MUST check in at the Registration Area prior to your presentation. SCA staff will have your name badge and other relevant registration materials.
- All speakers MUST upload their presentation in the Speaker Ready Room one hour prior to their presentation.
**Please contact SCA Staff at email@example.com if you are unable to upload your presentation 24 hours before your scheduled session.
Your session(s) may be recorded for the Annual Meeting On Demand product unless you notify SCA Staff via email – prior to the meeting – that you would like to opt out.
Session Arrival: Please arrive at the room assigned for your session at least 15 minutes prior to its start time. Be sure to bring an additional copy of your presentation.
Help Us Spread the Word!
To help us promote the SCA 6th Annual Thoracic Anesthesia Symposium (TAS) and 39th Annual Meeting & Workshops, we have created a marketing slide, a web banner and promotional language that can be inserted into your email signatures, shared via social media channels, or posted at your institution.
As a presenter, you can help spread the word about this event. Reach out to your industry community of colleagues, co-workers and friends to share your presentation plans!
CLICK HERE to download a PowerPoint slide for the Annual Meeting and TAS. You can use this during your presentations at other meetings to help us attract a wider audience to Orlando.
To add the banner into your email signature or social media, simply copy and paste the graphic below. Please note: Most email tools allow you to edit your signature settings, in which case, you would "insert" the image.
If you have any questions, please contact SCA headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you use Outlook, please follow the following steps to add the banner:
- Go to Tools > Options > Mail Format
- Click on Signature
- To edit your current signature, click Edit then copy and paste the banner provided below into the text box
- Hit OK
Please use the promotional language below in communications and feel free to revise it to best suit your personality:
Join us in Orlando, FL, April 21-26, 2017, for the SCA 39th Annual Meeting & Workshops and 6th Annual Thoracic Anesthesia Symposium (TAS). The SCA Annual Meeting and TAS are the premier training events dedicated exclusively to cardiothoracic anesthesiology professionals. During the meeting, you will have the unique opportunity to share clinical and practical knowledge with peers and industry experts, gain insight into the latest standards of practice, products and services, and network with fellow cardiothoracic anesthesiology professionals. Visit www.scahq.org/2017annualmeeting to learn more and register today!
Thank you for your continued support and participation. I look forward to seeing you in Orlando!
The most difficult part of planning an Orlando vacation is deciding what to do, what to see, and where to go. With infinite options for activities to try, regions to explore and attractions to enjoy, you’ll find something new each time you visit. Orlando offers every kind of activity imaginable; from world-renowned theme parks, unlimited outdoor recreation, a thriving arts and culture community, sightseeing tours and award-winning restaurants, you’re sure to find a host of things to entertain and inspire.
Plan Your Trip